Acton Academy Revives One-room Schoolhouse Model in Sioux Falls
March 15, 2021 (Sioux Falls, SD)— Acton Academy Sioux Falls, an innovative, mixed-age, one-room schoolhouse is opening its doors August 2021.
This independent school option offers Greater Sioux Falls area parents a “new generation of learning” for their children. Students of Acton Academy are encouraged to leverage their unique gifts, solve interesting problems, and be curious, independent, lifelong learners.
Acton Academy offers learner-driven communities where students take ownership and responsibility of their education and peer relationships. Instead of a teacher/classroom environment, learning is facilitated by a Guide, whose job is to provide challenges, frameworks, processes, tools, and world-class examples for learners; and to shepherd the energy of the learning community and showcase a Growth Mindset.
What is learner-driven?
- Students create and sign a Contract of Promises for self-governance and accountability.
- At every opportunity, studio processes are handed off to well equipped learners, because a Guide knows he or she will soon depart, hopefully to launch another Acton Academy.
- With every word and deed, every adult treats each learner with the respect that would be shown to a Hero or great historical figure.
- Adults never answer a question, instead, choices and natural consequences are offered.
- Guides offer growth mindset and testimony for learner encouragement.
“As a family, we wanted more than the ‘Learning to Know’ education our children were receiving,” said Aaron Johnson, Acton Academy Sioux Falls Co-Founder and Head of School. “We set out on a journey to uncover other education options, and it’s because of the learner-driven design at Acton that we decided to open an Academy in the Sioux Falls community.”
Along with a learner-driven focus, the following principles guide Acton’s approach to education:
- Powerful interactive, adaptive technology
- Learning by Doing
- The Socratic Method: responding to students’ questions with new questions, thus honing each student’s critical thinking skills
- Real world quests and apprenticeships
- The Hero’s Journey: Acton believes each child has a special calling in life, and a series of trials and tests that must be faced with integrity and purpose, in order to live a life of meaning
“We believe students should be in charge of their own learning and learn best by Doing ,” said Ashlee Johnson, Action Academy Sioux Falls Co-Founder. “If you believe your children would learn best through failure and solving their own problems, then Acton Academy is for you.”
Enrollment for Fall 2021 Elementary Studio is now open. Families are asked to complete an introduction form online to ensure Acton Academy Sioux Falls is the right school to serve the lifelong learning needs for both their children and the entire family.
To learn more, visit ActonAcademySiouxFalls.org.
About Acton Academy Sioux Falls
Acton Academy Sioux Falls will offer four studios: Elementary, ages 7-12 is opening August 2021, with Spark (ages 4-7) and Middle School (ages 12-15) opening soon after, then followed by our Launchpad studio (ages 15-19). The Sioux Falls location is part of the network of 240+ Acton Academies around the world. The Acton Academy mission is to inspire each child and parent who enters our doors to find a calling that will change the world. The school is accredited through the International Association of Learner Driven Schools.
Mary Rhode, Vye